Skip to content
13 buses over 6 years (11 replacement buses and 2 additions to the fleet)
- Okemos Public Schools currently has 19 buses in its fleet: 15 in service and 4 spares.
- 10 of these 19 buses are at least 9 years old and have driven more than 100,000 miles.
- A new school bus costs approximately $92,000 and lasts about 10 years.
- The bus maintenance team in Okemos is highly skilled and able to keep our fleet running safely for longer than average.
- Rust is the #1 enemy of a school bus: Michigan’s salty roads are tough on the undercarriage and stair wells. A bus washing station (included in the Capital Outlay portion of the bond proposal) would allow our maintenance crew to more thoroughly remove salt and grime from the fleet, keeping them in service longer.